Thursday, January 10, 2008

Even the Trees Seem Confused


What can I say about today's collage?

Maybe it has something to do with the unseasonably warm weather we've had the last few days: Sixty degrees in mid-January? In Connecticut? That's not right.

Even the trees seem confused, as if stumbling awake in the middle of the night to discover bright blue sky, the full light of day.

Spring is in the air, but it shouldn't be. The earth doesn't want to believe it, and neither do I. But we're all such huge suckers for warmth – it's hard not to enjoy the weather.

It reminds me of how easily I am taken in by a disingenuous smile, a false compliment. I'd like to be more discerning, but would I rather have my guard up? No I would not.

I am relieved. however, that this morning is colder.

Pull up that winter blanket, trees, and go back to sleep.

No comments: