Saturday, January 10, 2009

Lead and Follow










Through his studies of ancient mythology and religion, Joseph Campbell arrived at a philosophy of life that has guided me since the eleventh grade, when I first saw him interviewed by Bill Moyers on PBS. "Follow your bliss," Campbell said. If you let your passion lead, he insisted, it will take you where you need to go.

Where is this pattern compulsion leading me, I wonder? From abstract to whimsical to possibly even political. For this series, I was thinking about a juxtaposition of antique porcelain and desert wildlife. Got me thinking about the European colonization of Africa. Perhaps I should call it "Colony."

There are six images - the second three are details of the first.








1 comment:

Patti said...

Pattern has a visual rhythm just as your favorite song makes you want to get up and dance. I love Joseph Campbell. I recommend "The Power of Myth." Six - 1 hour interviews with Bill Moyers - my favorite.