Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Opening

My art show at WindhamARTS opened Friday, and all went well. I received too many compliments to count, the best of which was passed on to me by my sister-in-law, from my five-year-old niece:

Aunt Amy is such a good drawer, it looks like nobody drawed it.

But a half-hour earlier, it was another story entirely.

Between locking my keys (and other necessities) in the car a half-block away and last-minute copier jamming issues with the brochure/price list, I found myself sprinting up and down the stairs to the gallery office to troubleshoot print settings, in and out to the car (in the rain, no less) to settle up with AAA and gather needed items, and making a mad scramble to get all the food and drink set out in time, while delegating tasks to the helpful beloveds standing by as I flew past. All of this during the countdown minutes I had hoped to spend taking deep breaths, rechecking my appearance, and trying not to get too anxious that no one would come. Oh, woe, my biggest fear, made worse by the rainy evening: maybe no one would come.

But there was no time for any of that. When guests started streaming in, my biggest fear was assuaged, and I clicked, to my surprise, into calm, social, attentive, at-the-ready.

And boy did they start streaming in. There was a crowd! There was a band! People had fun! They bought art!



People!


More people!


The Electric Trains rock the house.

I couldn't have been happier to see so many new and familiar faces, and to receive such a glowing response to the work.

Thanks to everyone who took photographs of the event. (If you're on Facebook, you can view the entire album here.) I plan to return to the gallery today to take more pictures of the exhibit, unobstructed.

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful- wish I could've been there! You look so happy!